Mississippi's Guide to Running and Racing.
Race Day Etiquette: For someone who has been around or involved in running and road racing for most of my life, I have seen a lot of things that have completely mystified me; but none so much as seeing people who are either arriving at their first ever race, or have yet to shed the newbie habits that make them, well, "newbies".
You know the type. The guy or girl who shows up 5 minutes before the race begins to register. They aren't sure of what to do and from their perspective, "it's not a big deal". Only, it is. For the rest of the field standing there listening intently to the race director's final instructions it's a distraction. It's a delay. It's upsetting the balance of their perfectly planned and otherwise executed race day ritual.
Road races have become more relaxed from a participant point of view because the options that are are now available are less traditional than standardized road racing. Therefore events such as Mud Runs, Foam Runs, Glow Runs and Color Runs tend to be less if at all competitive and more party. Where this becomes a problem is when a newbie's only experience is with one of those type events, and then they show up for a more traditional 5K and wonder why the race director is high strung about starting the race on time.
So how do you get onboard if this is you? Follow these simple steps to ensure that you not only have a positive race day experience, but that you aren't ruining someone else's race day in the process.
1. Arrive Early - Race day registration can be chaotic as it is. By arriving early you can get through the process of either picking up your packet if you pre-registered, or signing up on race day. This gives you plenty of time to put your race shirt and things away and warmup for the event.
2. Wear your race number on the front of your body without covering it over with a jacket. Putting your number on right the first time will help you avoid any last minute changes at the starting line. Note: In running events, numbers should always be visible on the front of your body. In some international events runners wear one on the front and the back, but nearly all local Mississippi running events have numbers worn on the front of the runner's body.
3. Know where the starting line is. If you show up late, this can cause a domino effect in unfortunate events. Once you pickup your packet, find the start line.
4. Listen to the instructions from the race director/timer/race starter. If you are new, you need to pay special attention. The instructions can include important course details, instructions for a wave start if there is one and most importantly, any instructions regarding the finish line. You will want to hear these instructions.
5. Don't get on the front row if you know you aren't at least a sub-7 minute pace runner. You'll only cause runners to have to run around you in the first 150 yards and may cause someone to fall trying to avoid you.
Many of the participants standing next to you are not running their first competitive 5K. Take the time to say hello and ask someone near you if you aren't sure what to do.
Road Racing is a great way to make friends and generally have fun. For a select few it is the culmination of a week's intense training and how they measure their progress on a particular weekend.
Remember, there is nothing wrong with having fun at a competitive 5K, just make sure you are giving the race the appropriate attention and respect.
(Have a race to add? Send us the link in the contact page)
June 3rd Historic Ripley Midnight 5K - Ripley, MS Informaiton
June 4th Splash & Dash 5K - Oxford, MS Information
June 4th Veteran's Museum D-Day 5K - Laurel, MS Information
June 4th Festival 5K - Hattiesburg, MS Information
June 4th School's Out 5K Offroad Glow Run - Brookhaven, MS Information
June 4th State Farm Running With The King 5K - Tupelo, MS Informaiton
June 5th Divine Nine Dash 15K/5K - Jackson, MS Information
June 11th State Games of Mississippi Mile Trail Run - Meridian, MS Information
June 11th Blueberry Jubilee 5K Run - Poplarville, MS Information
June 11th Frog Level Festival 5K - Baldwyn, MS Information
June 18th Coast Electric Ready Set Glow 5K - Bay St. Louis, MS Information
June 18th Purposed Driven Divas on The Run 5K - Meridian, MS Information
June 18th 3rd Annual Run In The Sun 5K - Oxford, MS Information
June 18th Chevron Charity 5K Run - Pascagoula, MS Information
June 18th CF 5K - Brookhaven, MS Information
June 18th 3rd Annual Run In The Sun 5K - Oxford, MS Information
June 18th 5K The United Way - Columbus, MS Information
June 24th Nightcrawler 5K - Tupelo, MS Information
June 25th State Games of Mississippi 5K Road Race - Meridian, MS Informaton
June 25th Mission At The Cross 5K - Laurel, MS Information
June 25th Tomato Festival 5K - Crystal Springs, MS Information
June 25th Woolmarket Duathlon #3 - Woolmarket, MS Information
July 4th Watermelon Classic 5K - Jackson, MS Information
July 4th All American Glow Run 5K - Bay Springs, MS Information
July 4th The Great Commissioner 4 Miler - Hazelhurst, MS Information
July 4th Stars & Stripes 5K - Oxford, MS Information
July 4th Wesson Memorial 2 Miler - Ocean Springs, MS Information
July 4th American Legion Independence Day 5K - Belmont, MS Information
July 9th Sunfish Triathlon - Meridian, MS Information
July 16th Belmont 5K 4 Charity - Belmont, MS Information
July 16th St. Joe Bruin Burn 5K - Madison, MS Information
July 23rd Become A Superhero For St Judes 10K/5K - Hattiesburg, MS Information
July 30th Swinging Bridge 5K - Byram, MS Information
Aug 5th Moonlight Run 5K - Meridian, MS Information
Aug 6th Summer Beach Run 5K & Fun Run - Pass Christian, MS Information
Aug 20th Oak Grove High School Festival 5K - Hattiesburg, MS Information
Aug 20th Country Day 5K - Union, MS Information
Aug 20th Diamondhead 5K & Rotary 2 M Walk - Diamondhed, MS Information
Aug 20th New Hope Family 5K Run/Walk - Jackson, MS Information
Aug 27th Eastside SON Run 5K - Pearl, MS Information
Aug 27th Caustic Adrenaline Challenge - Meridian, MS Information
Sept 3rd Run To The Latin Beat 5K - Jackson, MS Information
Sept 5th Labor Your Legs 5K - Hattiesburg, MS Information
Sept 9th Tupelo Marathon & Half Marathon - Tupelo, MS Information
Sept 10th PBC D-VINE 5K - Pelahatchie, MS Information
Sept 17th MS Power Roux Run 5K - Walnut Grove, MS Information
Sept 24th Blessed Are The Peacemakers 5K - Tupelo, MS Information
Sept 24th Wells Fest 5K & 1 Mile - Jackson, MS Information
Know of a race we missed?
Tell us about it by sending us a link through the contact page
Show us how you Go Miss. Send us photos of your races and we'll try to use them to promote running and racing in Mississippi. That is how we gomiss!
Get busy, and Go Miss!
email links to your photos in the contact page